- Oct 17, 2021
- ü What sources make up the top 20% of traffic to my blog?
- ü Who are the top 20% of my audience I want to reach?
- ü What are the characteristics of this audience as a group?
- ü Can I afford more money and effort to satisfy the top 20% of readers?
- ü In terms of content, which blog posts make up the top 20% of my top performing topics?
- ü Can I improve on these topics and get more traction from my content than I am getting now?
Youssef has analyzed these questions and modified his blog accordingly:
He modified the blog design to align with those of the top 20% of the target audience. It is a common strategy in marketing. Then he rewrote some of the content to fully meet the needs of the target reader.
Although his analysis confirmed that the blog’s biggest problem was its marketing, Youssef did not ignore its content. He remember the common fallacy cited in the article - if 20% of the input is the most important, then the other 80% must be unimportant - and he didn’t want to make that mistake.
By applying the 80-20 rule to his blog project, Yousef better understood his audience and purposefully targeted the top 20% of readers. He reworked the blog’s structure and content based on what he has learned. As a result, visits to his site increased by more than 220%.